Call Volume- 2016
2017 Monthly Call Volume
2 Auto Accidents
1 Fire Alarm
1 Road/Traffic Hazard
3 Cancelled Calls
August (as of 8/5)
9 Medical Emergencies
1 Auto Accident
Sixty seven years ago the first fire truck of the Minerva Volunteer Fire Department arrived in town. The first meeting of the
newly formed department was held a year previous on May 3, 1950. The
incorporation papers are dated August 9, 1950. The first officers were,
President: Ed Yandon, VP: Ed McSweeney, Sec: Archie Marino and
Treasurer: James McGuiness.Norman Hall was the first Fire Chief. Space
was provided for the new truck in the basement of the town hall.
Meetings were held there also. At that time, the area had only a dirt
bottom and a water problem in the spring. In the mid '50's Mrs. Helen
Keenan gave the department a building lot in Olmstedville and a second
fire house was constructed and a second truck, the Dodge Power Wagon was
purchased. Minerva now had two trucks and two fire houses.
The Rescue Squad was organized in 1956 as a vital part of the department. Twenty fireman were selected and trained in basic first aid to provide this additional service. Harold Sylvester was the first captain.
When the Tallman garage building was vacated and put up for sale, the fire department purchased the building and moved from the town hall to what is now the present Minerva Fire House.
Our organization is one of very few who are still 100% volunteer! We have a small number of dedicated volunteers who work to keep our department afloat. We currently house 3 fire trucks, an ambulance and a rescue truck in our two stations. 2015 marked the 65th anniversary of the fire department.